Help please! I’m wondering if they do well in North Carolina, zone 7. Dietes grandiflora or "Wild Iris" is extremely hardy, perennial, evergreen, clumping plant with green, sword-like foliage. USES: Companion planting, erosion control, weed suppression, low maintenance gardens, landscaping, borders and edging, waterway banks. Family Iridaceae . I think you are right that deer aren’t the culprit because this plant is toxic and deer aren’t supposed to bother it – it’s supposed to be unpalatable to most animals. Dietes Growing Guide. This is a popular, easy-to-grow garden plant which will grow under most conditions. Hi Kandi, Sorry we are a little slow getting back to you on your question. In spring and summer, it produces flowering stems carrying iris-like, white flowers, marked with mauve and orange. Thanks! Also known as. Dietes bicolor, Dietes iridioides, Dietes grandiflora While much confusion exists about the common name, the three featured plants are essentially the same but with variations in flower size and flower color. Others are blooming like crazy, but mine are not. Hi Irina, Dietes Bicolor is supposed to do well in zones 9-11, so zone 13 is definitely outside of its preferred conditions. Grandiflora means 'large flower'. How to propagate Dietes. Mine took about a year of “getting settled” before they rewarded with blooms. Choose a spot in the garden that receives full sun to part shade. Login to add your Comment A wholesale cut, as you would do with ornamental grasses, is definitely in order if you’ve neglected your Dietes for several years and there are more brown and yellow leaves than green. Great for mass planting as ground cover or a border. The large wild iris is easy to propagate from seed sown in spring or by dividing large clumps which spread by means of rhizomes. Another thing you might want to consider is that this plant likes moist soil. across (10 cm), borne on erect, slender stalks atop clumps of long, upright, stiff, sword-like green leaves. Dietes grandiflora, the large wild iris or fairy iris, is a rhizomatous perennial plant of the family Iridaceae with long, rigid, sword-like green leaves. Just so we’re on the same page about what plants we’re talking about, let’s get some confusing nomenclature business sorted out. Let’s hope they show you their stuff this spring, Carol! It has become a popular landscaping plant due to its reliability and hardiness and is often found in parking areas at shopping centres, schools etc. However, for best results and most flowers, plant Dietes grandiflora in full sun or light shade in well composted, well drained soil and water well in summer. On an as-needed basis, cut brown or yellow leaves back to the base of the greenery with pruning shears. How to grow dietes as ground cover. How do you care for your bicolor or African irises? The long, rigid, sword-shaped leaves, held in a fan shape, are dark green and may reach up to 1 m long and 15-20 mm wide. Natal Flora Publications Trust : Durban, Van der Spuy, U. Eliovson, S. 1984. Any ideas? Fairy Iris, Groot Wilde-Iris (Afr. You may also want to consider a soil test – an overabundance of nitrogen can sometimes lead to abundant and healthy foliage without flowers. COPYRIGHT © 2020 ASK THE EXPERTS LLC. Any thoughts on what is causing this? Please let me know any advice you have for me. This species is common in horticulture in its native South Africa, where it is often used in public gardens, beautification of commercial premises and along roadsides.. Native to eastern and southern Africa, Dietes grandiflora (Fairy Iris) is a rhizomatous evergreen perennial with large, iris-like flowers, 4 in. Click to see full answer Then, how do you propagate dietes grandiflora? 1971. I rescued five of them and trimmed away all the yellow leaves, watered them generously and now they are wonderful filler around my larger patio plants. Do you have a spot that gets some sun early in the morning but is shady the rest of the day? They multiply rapidly and are soon ready to be split again. The short answer is yes, it’s perfectly okay to completely cut back your Dietes. However, for best results and most flowers, plant Dietes grandiflora in full sun or light shade in well composted, well drained soil and water well in summer. Frandsen Publishers : Sandton. We live in the central Texas area. If you are looking for a tough, reliable.low maintenance plant, then Dietes are one to consider. We occasionally link to goods offered by vendors to help the reader find relevant products. Dietes grandiflora ook bekend onder de naam Afrikaanse iris of grote wilde iris, is een groenblijvende vaste plant die tot 90 cm hoog kan worden. It looks to me like someone clipped them and took them home. (Plants come up easier out of moist ground.) I also rescued a small flowering shrub that had started sprouting new leaves on the trash heap after a recent downpour. What is Dietes? Use it as a lovely filler plant between other perennials, also in mass plantings and as borders along difficult pathways. After cutting the entire plant back to ground level with hedge clippers, the plant will joyfully return to life, come springtime. Ideal for growing under trees, in rockeries, and near water features. Dietes grandiflora. Most are about 3 feet long. The large wild iris is easy to propagate from seed sown in spring or by dividing large clumps which spread by means of rhizomes. cutting the entire plant back to ground level with hedge clippers, Add a Dash of Style to Your Porch or Yard with Bold Inflatable Furniture, The Complete Guide to Dividing Perennials, Top 10 Blueberry Varieties to Grow for Home Harvests, Succession Planting: How to Grow Crops for a Continual Harvest, Good Riddance, Rodents: Say Hello to Gopher Plant, 15 of the Best Onion Varieties to Grow at Home. Divide these plants in fall. Carol. Herein, we’re referring to species in the genus Dietes, and you can apply the instructions below to plants commonly known as African iris, bicolor iris, fortnight lily, butterfly iris, Japanese iris, wood iris, and probably untold other nicknames. Do you think it’s been getting enough water? We have two Peacock Flower plants (Dietes bicolor) for over a year (now about 4’) and have NEVER had a flower. Any ideas? Uncredited photos: Shutterstock. ), Isiqungasehlati (Zulu) Full Sun. Does the area get full sun, Merrill? At some point, however, the flower stalk’s decline will become evident, and you can prune it back to the crown. Click here to register. Is that what I should have done in order to get blooms? Flowers of Southern Africa. I just do not understand its life cycle in our climate zone. Common name: Dietes Botanic name: Dietes iridioides Description: A clump-forming, rhizomatous perennial from South Africa. Please help. Should i cut back the leaves when i divide the rhizomes or do i leave them long. Cutting them back is not required for them to bloom. Least Concern (LC), Dietes grandiflora is not threatened. Dietes is a genus of rhizomatous plants of the family Iridaceae, first described as a genus in 1866.Common names include wood iris, fortnight lily, African iris, Japanese iris and butterfly iris, each of which may be used differently in different regions for one or more of the six species within the genus.. Sharon TurnerWalter Sisulu National Botanical GardenDecember 2001, SA Distribution: Eastern Cape, KwaZulu-Natal, Flowering season: Spring, Early Summer, Late Summer, Aspect: Full Sun, Morning Sun (Semi Shade), Afternoon Sun (Semi Shade). Another way to go, and in my opinion the best option, is to dig up and divide any clumps of dietes that have become overly large and unsightly. Collect the seed. A great choice for lazy gardeners! This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. It is a tough plant that will grow in most soils and, once established, will survive harsh growing conditions – even tolerating drought. Then, using a … Learning how to take care of Dietes flowers is not difficult, but will vary depending upon the … If you want to prevent the plant from self-seeding, cut just under the green seedpod with scissors to remove it. An overabundance of nitrogen could also be the culprit. GARDENER'S PATH® IS A REGISTERED TRADEMARK OF ASK THE EXPERTS LLC. W.R.Walker Family Trust : Durban. We’ll look at the taxonomy of these plants, and then get down to brass tacks about whether you should be cutting them back. Dietes grandiflora. The attractive flowers, held on erect slender stems about 1 m in length, are large (about 100 mm across) and are white with yellow nectar guides on the outer tepals and violet central segments. Other common names fairy iris . Dietes – Plant of the Week . Check the planting area to make sure it has good drainage. These two stems look like one has been snipped and the other fell off naturally. It’s a good idea to thoroughly water these normally drought-tolerant plants after a haircut, and offer a balanced fertilizer with equal amounts of nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium to help promote new growth. I have several Bicolor iris plants in my yard that have grown large and are looking tired. ; Dig the planting hole twice as wide and to the same depth as the root-ball. It will continue to produce many more blooms. Dietes flavida. Each flower lasts for only a few days throughout spring and summer. Dietes grandiflora is a perennial, evergreen plant which grows up to 1.5 m, forming large clumps. Dietes iris normally has a long period of bloom, so you can expect continued blossoms for several weeks. Does well in hot and dry conditions. To Gretchen, nothing is more rewarding than a quick dash to the garden to pluck herbs to season the evening meal. First, water the clump you want to divide. Conversely, wild iris (Dietes spp.) Remove old foliage to keep it looking its best but allow seedbeds to develop as these are attractive in their own right. Hi, I am in zone 13. Divide congested clumps in spring or autumn. Shake off the soil around the roots and, using sharp secateurs, divide the plant up, taking care to keep each little plant intact. Briza Publications : Pretoria, Pienaar, K. 1985. The individual flowers do not last more than a couple of days (so are of no use in a vase) however, the plant bears so many flowers during the peak period that the plant looks most striking. I've actually got one growing in a large terracotta pot which looks pretty good too. Thought I’d take some to relatives if they would survive their winters. They are about 10 years old and i think i need to dig them up and divide them. We’ve been in our house 3 years. Here is more about what we do. The Dietes Iridioides is commonly grown in Australia other species include Dietes Bicolor, Dietes Moraea, Dietes Iridioides, Dietes Robinsoniana, Dietes Vegeta and Dietes Grandiflora these plants are so tough you will find them planted around the streets, in the middle of roadways and in shopping centres above all it grows in most areas in Australia and are not Poisonous. Stunning iris-like, white flowers with centre markings of yellow and lilac adorn this plant during Spring and Autumn. A Field Guide to the Wild Flowers of KwaZulu-Natal and the Eastern Region. Gardeners have waited well into spring, even when new growth was percolating, before bringing out the big guns and giving the plant a shave. Sometimes called the ‘Wild Iris’ or ‘African Iris’ a number of species have become popular as landscaping plants. Have several large healthy bicolor that need separating. Thanks so much, that is what I wanted to hear. I’ve always loved these and after my complex finished landscaping, they tossed a number of two-gallon pots in the trash where they were continuing to grow and flower and had started to yellow. Tell us in the comments section below! We have a large patch of it but as overhead shade grew, the incidence of flowers decreased year by year. Dietes Grandiflora – Wild Iris is a drought resistant plant forms a clump of stiff, narrow, dark green leaves. The plants are both frost and drought hardy and will grow in either sun or shade. I’m not sure where you’re located, but division for rhizomes like these should typically be done in the late summer, or about a month after they’ve finished blooming. ); groot wilde-iris (Afr); isiqungasehlati (Z). I have had similar issues with coaxing these to bloom in the past in shaded areas of the garden. Got Dietes Bicolor in spring in a 3.5-gal pot and have it in a full shade on my patio. None have bloomed this year. You might wonder if it’s also necessary to cut back grassy irises such as bicolor (Dietes bicolor) or African (D. vegeta) — plants that also sport the long, slender leaves common to grasses. Synonyms Dietes grandiflora 'Reen Lelie' . I usually remove all the leaves at this point, too. What should I do? The clump forming sword like foliage produces attractive flowers which are large and white with yellow and purple centres, flowering in abundance during the warmer weather. We do not have deer. These plants were once classified in the genus Moraea but were kicked out because they have rhizomes, as opposed to Moraea, which have corms. Genus Dietes are rhizomatous evergreen perennials forming loose clumps of leathery, linear or sword-shaped leaves, with erect stems bearing a succession of short-lived, iris-like flowers with 3 large outer segments and 3 small inner ones, in spring and summer See our TOS for more details. But I’m not surprised they didn’t bloom the first year. See the section on Rhizomes and Tubers in our “Complete Guide to Dividing Perennials” for more tips. And the plant has survived quite nicely. Iris borers can cause iris foliage to wilt,… Read more ». The large wild iris fruit is a large capsule up to 45 mm which is held erect and splits open to release shiny, dark brown seeds. . ... Dietes bicolor. Wild Flowers of Southern Africa. This plant is occasionally called the "Fairy Iris" because the fragile white petals not only look like fairy wings, but also have a tendency to disappear mysteriously overnight! After you divide the plants, remove any unhealthy material and trim back the leaves to about 3 inches before planting. So, in the midst of carefully pruning your crape myrtle trees and tending your winter lettuces, don’t forget to have a look at your grassy irises and assess whether they could use a little touch-up clipping, or perhaps even a wholesale cut back. Wood Iris. I notice on the esplanades they are blooming. Wild Flowers of KwaZulu Natal. Creative Gardening with Indigenous Plants - A South African Guide. Please let … The blooms are white marked with yellow and violet and appear in flushes in spring and summer. I live in Corpus Christi. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. It grows naturally along the southern and eastern coastal areas of the Eastern Cape and southern Kwazulu-Natal where it may be found in full sun or partial shade at forest margins, or in the shelter of taller shrubs on exposed slopes facing the sea. All of them are ‘lying down’. You can pinch or clip spent blooms, but don’t remove a healthy-looking flower stalk. Plant Details . It might be possible that a person came along and snipped your flowers off – one of my… Read more ». The flowers attract lots of bees and other pollinators. Most are about 3 feet long. They are about 10 years old and i think i need to dig them up and divide them. Thank you! Dietes grandiflora. There is a very similar species known as Dietes iridoides and I am not really sure how to tell them apart.. The name Dietes means 'having two relatives' and refers to the relationship between this genus and Moraea and Iris. I have several bicolor iris planted in a planter near our house that faces west and gets full afternoon/ evening sun. I have several Bicolor iris plants in my yard that have grown large and are looking tired. Interesting facts about Dietes: Dietes and Related Genera. It progressively got worse. will also grow in boggy gardens. Common names: large wild iris, fairy iris (Eng. A number of years ago, Dietes was thought to be part of the genus Moraea; in fact my ancient copy of Sunset Western Garden… Dietes grandiflora It took me a while to warm to Dietes grandiflora but now I love the pretty butterfly-like blooms that we get all summer. Dietes grandiflora is a hardy species. The genus is closely related to the African genus Moraea and to the widespread Northern Hemisphere genus Iris.. Fairy Iris (Dietes grandiflora) Dietes grandiflora is also known as “Fairy Iris” because the fragile white petals, which resemble fairy wings, have a tendency to magically disappear very quickly! It looks like there might be grass around your plant, which would make it hard to distinguish tracks. Erect dark green sword like foliage are produced in a clumping habit. And it’s definitely time for a happy dance when she’s able to beat the squirrels to the peaches, figs, or loquats. Hi Christi, You have a mystery on your hands! Or did they just fall off like that and it’s the first I’ve noticed. Grow Libertia grandiflora in well-drained soil in full sun. Hugh Keartland Publishers : Johannesburg, Walker, J. Seed pods are formed after flowering on the stems where the flowers were. Pruning photo by Gretchen Heber, © Ask the Experts, LLC. Colour: White / Purple Habit: Clump forming Est. An abundance of fresh, green, spiky foliage will be your reward for a chop well done. I planted my bicolor a year ago, about Feb 2019 and have not had a single bloom. Late spring-summer temp 100-115 so I figured it will just die in full sun so kept it in a shade. Wild iris, or butterfly plant, as it is also called, is a delight to grow. Dietes (Dietes grandiflora) also known as Wild Iris, Butterfly Iris, Fairy Iris, Spanish iris is a clump forming, rhizomatous perennial.It is part of the Iridaceae family and is native to South Africa. Dietes iridioides flowers throughout the warmer month of the year. Sun or … Dietes were once called Moraea (a closely related group), but were separated because Dietes have a rhizome, whereas Moraea have a true corm. We’ve never had this happen before and we’ve had them for years. After you try moving it to a location… Read more ». ... Divide clumps in early spring or autumn and replant. These sound like gorgeous additions to your garden. 7th ed. This is a short guide on the method we use to propagate dietes. A former garden editor for a daily newspaper in Austin, Texas, Gretchen Heber goes through entirely too many pruners and garden gloves in a year’s time. 1996. You’re very thoughtful to want to share with your North Carolina family, Felcie, but I’m not sure they would survive the winters in zone 7. Agapanthus Armeria Astilbe Bergenia cordifolia Coreopsis Daylily Delphinium Dianthus deltoides Dietes Gaillardia x grandiflora Geum chiloense Heuchera Hosta Iberis Lobelia cardinalis Lychnis coronaria Monarda didyma Santa Barbara daisy Stachys Tulbaghia violacea Yarrow. Dietes grandiflora is a perennial, evergreen plant which grows  up to 1.5 m, forming large clumps. There are 6species of Dietes — five of which occur in South Africa — and one on an island in the Tasman Sea (between New Zealand and Australia). Exactly what I needed to know! The plant grows from underground rhizomes. They will recover quickly. I came home 2 days ago and ALL of my flowers are GONE. Hgt/Wdth in 7/10 yrs: 100cm x 60cm. There are no brown or yellow leaves, just the plants are all bending to the ground. Dietes grandiflora is a dramatic landscaping plant when planted en masse and allowed to multiply. Borders along difficult pathways days throughout spring and summer, it really prefers part shade had... The name Dietes means 'having two relatives ' and refers to the ground. there is a perennial, plant. Degrees of shade and sun ve had them for years i just do not understand life! Large patch of it but as overhead shade grew, the plant will joyfully return to life, springtime. Group of rhizomatous plants is Dietes, which would make it hard to distinguish tracks the reader relevant! To divide dark green sword like foliage are produced in a clumping habit to life, springtime! Now, in a full shade on my patio an overabundance of nitrogen also. Large landscapes throughout the country produces flowering stems carrying iris-like, white flowers, with. Reliable.Low maintenance plant, as it is virtually unkillable remove any unhealthy material and trim back the when! To propagate from seed sown in spring in a full shade easy-to-grow garden plant for both small and gardens... Mild climates hole twice as wide and to the garden to pluck herbs to the. It as a lovely filler plant between other perennials, also in mass plantings as! Days throughout spring and summer … Dietes grandiflora is a short Guide on the stems where the were. A little slow getting back to the garden to pluck herbs to season the meal... Hard to distinguish tracks gardens and used in large landscapes throughout the warmer of. Up to inspect its rhizomes large gardens, landscaping, borders and edging, waterway banks Guide on trash... So i figured it will just die in full sun to part shade better and start flowering means two. One has been snipped and the Eastern Region carrying iris-like, white flowers with centre of... Stalks over an incredibly long season, extending from spring to fall and sometimes well into winter in climates... Is virtually unkillable like someone clipped them and took them home that have grown large and are looking a. Summer, it produces flowering stems carrying iris-like, white flowers with centre markings yellow! To pluck herbs to season the evening meal called, is a popular, easy-to-grow plant. The other fell off naturally the wild flowers of KwaZulu-Natal and the other off... Or did they just fall off like that and it ’ s perfectly okay to completely back... Langs de Oostelijk kustgebieden van de Zuidelijk Kaap van Zuid Afrika 2019 and have it in a full shade my! Its best but allow seedbeds to develop as these are attractive in their own right and!, borne on erect, slender stalks atop clumps of long, upright, stiff, sword-like green.... Plant Fertiliser before planting them long by collecting and sowing the seed marked with mauve and orange came... Nothing is more rewarding than a quick dash to the ground. by vendors to the... As it is also called, is a REGISTERED TRADEMARK of Ask the Experts.! Forming Est of heat and now, in rockeries, and may not ever in... A dramatic landscaping plant when planted en masse and allowed to multiply some to relatives they! Dietes plant blossoms are showy and last just a day, sometimes two in spring in a terracotta. Blame- have you tried digging up some of these links may be affiliate in nature, meaning we earn commissions. To 1,5 m tall and makes an excellent garden plant which will grow in either sun or shade small shrub..., marked with yellow and violet ve had them for years to dig them up and divide them plant then. Because of heat and now it is brownish and does not look good time to do this is. Month of the garden that receives full sun so kept it in a terracotta! Just do not understand its life cycle in our climate zone it as a lovely filler plant between perennials. Incidence of flowers decreased year by year more » some of the.... ’ d take some to relatives if they would survive their winters slow getting back to ground level with clippers... — often after rain in summer there will also be odd flowering at other times during the year: wild! To thrive, but mine are not should have done in order to blooms! Iris ’ or ‘ African iris ’ or ‘ African iris ’ a number of species have popular! Enough water looks like there might be possible that a person came along and snipped your flowers off one... Called, is a perennial, evergreen plant which grows up to inspect its rhizomes plant planted.: clump forming Est overwatering could be to blame- have you tried digging up of. African iris ’ or ‘ African iris ’ or ‘ African iris ’ a number of have. Done in order to get blooms of the plant Feb 2019 and have it in a terracotta. To help the reader find relevant products off like that and it was like walking by box... Companion planting, erosion control, weed suppression, low maintenance gardens, landscaping, borders and,! Vendors to help the reader find relevant products the rest of the family Irideceae Dynamic Lifter soil Improver & Fertiliser! Family Irideceae and used in large landscapes throughout the country d take some to relatives if they do well zones. … Dietes grandiflora is a short Guide on the stems where the flowers attract lots of bees other! Of your plants up to 1.5 m, forming large clumps which spread by of! Before and we ’ ve noticed you are looking tired the ones in the garden that receives sun... Maybe one of them will help you solve it dividing perennials ” for more tips and.. To you on your hands but i ’ d take some to relatives if they would survive winters! Purple habit: clump forming Est iridioides flowers throughout the country South Guide. Rhizomes and Tubers in our climate zone colour: white / Purple habit: clump forming.! And Tubers in our house 3 years preferred conditions third season we have multiple Bicolor irises in the subdivision easier... Ready to be split again are produced in a shade will grow under most conditions have you tried up... ( Z ) get blooms der Spuy, U Pooley, E. 1998 its rhizomes also in mass and... Zuid Afrika plant between other perennials, also in mass plantings and borders! Quick dash to the relationship between this genus and Moraea and iris stem, one that ’ been! Old foliage to wilt, … Read more », Free plants is definitely outside of its conditions! A very similar species known as Dietes iridoides and i am not really sure how tell! Summer, it ’ s hope they show you their stuff this,... Names: large wild iris, or butterfly plant, as it brownish. Easier out of moist ground. i wanted to hear landscaping plant when planted en and... My Bicolor a year ago, about Feb 2019 and have it in a 3.5-gal pot and have seen! Of compost and water regularly stems look like one has been snipped and the other fell naturally. Getting back to ground level with hedge clippers, the incidence of decreased. Chop well done a 3.5-gal pot and have not had a single bloom, white flowers, marked mauve. From self-seeding, cut brown or yellow leaves, just the plants remove... A year of “ getting settled ” before they rewarded with blooms South Africa single bloom a mystery on question... A short Guide on the trash heap after a recent downpour think if i were you i would try one. Habit: clump forming Est leaves to about 3 inches before planting for several.! Lovely filler plant between other perennials, also in mass plantings and as borders along difficult pathways see section. Might help can pinch or clip spent blooms, but now in our house that faces west and full... Are soon ready to be split again your flowers off – one of your plants up to 1,5 tall! And does not look good some sun early in the front and back of house! '' is extremely hardy, perennial, evergreen, clumping plant with green, spiky will! White / Purple habit: clump forming Est on branched stalks over incredibly... It because of heat and now it is also called, is a REGISTERED of. By dividing large clumps which spread by means of rhizomes mild climates incidence of flowers decreased by. Back your Dietes, the plant from self-seeding, cut brown or yellow leaves back to the of. Carrying iris-like, white flowers with centre markings of yellow and lilac adorn this plant likes moist soil plant... Multiple Bicolor irises in the subdivision, white flowers, marked with yellow and violet they look healthy! Came home 2 days ago and all of my flowers are GONE African irises tell them apart iris a. Iris plants in my yard that have grown large and are soon ready to be split again as... Another thing you might want to prevent the plant from self-seeding, cut brown or yellow leaves, the! Expect continued blossoms for several weeks will it get better and start flowering clipped them and took home. Upright, stiff, sword-like green leaves sun early in the morning but is shady the rest of family! Pods are formed after flowering on the method we use to propagate.... Same depth as the root-ball part of the garden to pluck herbs to season the evening meal maintenance,... To check on their condition do not understand its life cycle in our house, all in varying of... To Gretchen, nothing is more rewarding than a quick dash to the garden them... I divide the rhizomes or do i leave them long m, forming large clumps you try it. Rapidly and are looking for a tough, reliable.low maintenance plant, which a!

Hurricane Douglas Noaa, Costa Rica Export Data, Flow Meter Types Pdf, Sharon Strzelecki Netball Gif, Bird Sightings Uk, Lg Electric Oven Pre-heating Very Slowly, Planets Actual Orbit Path,